Tuesday, 30 August 2011

I am a gong show.

Yup, it's true.
Saturday, August 27th.
I was supposed to be in Magrath ( Half an hour away) between 7 to 7:30 am. I thought setting four consecutive alarms, all within 15 minutes of each other was a great idea, in case I slept through one or two of them. Of course, I slept through all four. Should I have really expected anything different? Rolled out of bed at 6:50, panicked, threw a dress on and stumbled out the door (literally). I managed to hit every stop light on the way out of town, making my trip longer than anticipated. I also managed to tweeze my eyebrows, put makeup on and do my hair on the way there. Yes, while driving. Maybe this is why my license is a few demerits short of being suspended. Anyways, on topic. I made it to Magrath in time (first miracle of the day). Around 8:00 am I arrived in Cardston as I was scheduled to shoot a wedding at 10:00 am. I decided to drive around and location hunt while I was waiting around. I ended up driving 20 minutes out of town, towards the United States border. While driving, I spotted a gravel road that lead up a hill. Being a curious little girl, I decided to take a gander up there. Well worth it...well for a few minutes at least. I have never seen such a beautiful view. I found the perfect spot. Of course, something could only go wrong now. I looked at my phone to see that 10:00 am was slowly, but surely, creeping up on me. I decided to turn around to head back to the temple. Being the excellent driver I am, I managed to reverse into a ditch and high centre my little black car. I tried patiently for 5 minutes to get it out. Trying everything from reversing, forward, kicking dirt out from under the tires. It was useless. I had 20 minutes to get to the temple and no reception on my phone. Awesome. I decided to run back towards the highway in hopes of receiving some service. Praying just for one bar to appear. It took me a total of 10 minutes to run back. By the time I got to the highway I was perspiring enough to make a small pool, diminishing any effort I had previously put into my appearance. Still no service. There was nothing to do but cry. So that's what I did, sat on the side of the road and cried, contemplating what options I had. I could run back to my car, get my camera, run back to the highway and then run to the temple? I might make it there in an hour? Nope, bad idea. So my "survival instincts" kicked in and I stuck out my thumb. Yes, at that moment I officially became a hitch hiker. Car after car passed by as I tried waving, yelling, possibly cursing and running after them. No dice. Finally, an answer to prayer. A green honda passed me, slammed on their breaks and reversed towards the pathetic, desperate girl on the side of the road. Two little old ladies. They drove me back up to my car and decided to try and push me out. I knew they would have little to no impact on moving my car, but I let them try anyways. They decided it was best to drive me back to the temple and leave my sad little car. Yup, I got a ride with two strangers. It was truly an answer to prayer that these two ladies came my way instead of some psycho. I couldn't have been more grateful to the Lord for sending such helpful people my way.
I made it in time!
Now the best part is I couldn't quite remember where about's I had left my car. After photos, I jumped in a truck with all the groomsmen and we went to search for my sad, stuck vehicle. We found it! They hooked up some chains (that they just happened to have kickin' around) and pulled my car right out with one tug. I am forever grateful to them for getting on their hands and knees in their suits and not making one comment about my intelligence level, or lack thereof.
Something like this would only happen to me. However, besides these few series of unfortunate events, it was a great day. And hey, now I can say I have hitch hiked :)



That is AWESOME in all the worst circumstances. Glad you weren't kidnapped :)

Post a Comment